Thursday, August 17, 2006

Timeline continued

On BBC news they always have some little quotes from readers down in the corner. On the lead article on Lebanon today, which is about how Lebanese troops are going down to the south and UN troops are coming in to replace the Israeli troops leaving, there this quote from Doron Archi, Boston, USA: "Make Shalom, not Jihad." Because apparently peace is a concept that can only be conveyed in Hebrew and war is one that can be conveyed in Arabic. Apparently Israel (I assume they mean Israel, not something like Jews in general or anything like that) is responsible for all peace and Hizballah (I assume this is who they mean, and they better not be thinking Lebanon, or all Arabs, or all Muslims) is responsible for all war. Little implied things like this are what make me the angriest.

Also, just when I'm beginning to feel okay about the ceasefire thing, I'm starting to feel very uncomfortable about the civil war possiblity. I haven't finished reading it yet, but here is an article from the New York Times written by an editor of the Lebanese Daily Star that I stole from my friend/fellow evacuee Courtney's blog. It's quite long, and I'll refrain from commenting until I've read the whole thing, but the first two pages were enough to get me thinking. Oy is what is have to say so far.

Okay, so war timeline continued before I head to the pool (this feels a little ironic):

Wednesday July 12:
Heard gunshots during second class period, around 11:30 possibly, but didn't realize what they were.
Went to a lunch lecture from the two American (well, one of them grew up in China, but is now American) teachers, Li and John, which explains why only one person in my class read the news during lunchtime.
Got back to class at 2 after lunch and Carol, one of the people in my class and a professor at UCLA, told us that Hizballah had just kidnapped two Israeli soldiers. Our teacher Rima's reaction was pretty odd: she sort of laughed and told Carol she was truly Lebanese now because she paid so much attention to the news, and that was pretty much it.
Ironically, we watched the video story for Lesson 20 of Al-Kitab 1, which is about Maha's mother having to leave Jerusalem in 1967, and how sad she is not to have a home anymore. Yup, no political lesson there at all.
Mostly I remember not feeling like what had happened was a big deal, and not believing Israel at all when they said that Lebanon would pay for Hizballah's actions or that they would set Lebanon back 30 years.
After telling Dany about the gunshots we heard in class, she explained that it was probably celebrations after Hizballah supporters in the area found out about the successful raid.
We heard about some friends of friends leaving who were visiting from the States leaving for Amman to escape that night and sort of laughed at them, thinking they were overreacting, because it really really seemed like they were.
Basically, watched Teta (my grandma) yell at the news all night and did my homework, fully expecting to be able to go to class in the morning.

Okay, this is taking way longer than I anticipated. Now I must go to the pool because this is getting ridiculous, but later will do a big push through some of this timeline because I need to get it up here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

O.K., you need to add to this timeline everyday because now I feel like I'm reading a soap opera and I need to log in tomorrow to another episode of " the war timeline". keep it coming R.

7:33 PM, August 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home