Saturday, August 05, 2006

Prague

Right now I am sitting in a quasi-internet cafe in the Prague airport. I had to come here to get my ticket changed by AirFrance so that I could come home a couple of days early, so now that is taken care of and I will be home on 8/25. I figured I'd use the internet while I was here and then head back and get some Prague-ing done.

The trip so far has been pretty great. We left from London at about 7 on Tuesday morning and drove down to Dover to catch the ferry. The cliffs are pretty neat and very white as it turns out. From there we took the ferry to Calais, France and drove through a bit of France and Belgium to get to the Netherlands. We spent the first night of the trip in Amsterdam which was pretty great. First we had a dinner cruise with Indonesian food which was odd but delicious, and Amsterdam is a pretty cool looking city. We went to this club called Bulldog where, as it turns out, there are pictures of naked people all over the walls. I failed to notice this while we were actually in the club but then we were looking at Heather's pictures afterward and there is a giant naked ass behind me and Aaron in this one picture. There was also karaoke there which was pretty entertaining. Then the next day we slept too late and then walked to the Anne Frank House museum which was quite depressing but very cool to see. It's neat because you actually get to look out the window and pretty much see what she saw while she was in there.

Then we spent pretty much the next two days driving from Amsterdam to Prague. It was probably one of the more beautiful drives I've ever taken in my life. I wrote in my journal on the first day that we were in the Rhine Valley and that it was beautiful, definitely an improvement on Michigan, but didn't hold a candle to Lebanon. I am biased of course. It is a different kind of beautiful though. Everything is so green and it's very picturesque. We spent the night in the randomest little hotel in the middle of Germany and sat out on the porch singing along with Jeff's guitar.

Yesterday we arrived in Prague in time for dinner and then a night walking tour, which was also beautiful. The city is all lit up at night and it looks amazing.

Okay, I only have 15 minutes of battery left so I better post this and then send some I'm-alive emails because I guess those are important. I'll have more interesting things to say about Prague later.

Oh, actually, important thing. The most interesting thing about this trip might actually be seeing what different people's reactions are to our having been in Lebanon. It's the tone of voice when they ask the inevitable "What were you doing there?" Americans have a very different reaction from Britons who have a different reaction from Aussies and New Zealanders and Canadians and South Africans and Mexicans and Greeks. Yup, that's everyone on the trip.

Okay, more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home